lemon moroccan chickpea soup | jojo's sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 10 to 12 cups water
- 1 (3”) piece kombu
- 4 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T Jojo’s Sriracha
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, saute until translucent, about 5 mins; lower heat if browning starts to occur. Add garlic and spices and saute a minute or so.
2. Add chickpeas, water and kombu. Season with a couple pinches of salt and fresh grinds pepper.
3. Bring to a easy boil. Add carrots and sweet potatoes. Simmer until vegetables are tender. About 15 mins.
4. Remove kombu. Add tomato paste, lemon juice, jojo’s, salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning as needed.
5. Garnish with plain yogurt, cilantro and extra Jojo’s, if desired.