Steel Cut Oat Blueberry Muffins | Jojo's Sriracha
jojo's favorite muffins. they may not have any sriracha in them, but they're darn good anyway.
makes 12 muffins
- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cooked steel-cut oats
- 1 cup blueberries tossed with 1 teaspoon flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack positioned in the upper third. Butter 12 muffin cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, if desired. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk (or yogurt and water), canola oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Quickly stir in the dry ingredients with a whisk or a spatula from the bottom until you can no longer see flour. A few lumps are fine. Fold in the cooked oats and the blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling them to just below the top. Place in the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for 10 minutes before unmolding. Cool on a rack, or serve warm.